Supplement products are common in our daily life. I am taking three different types of supplements but I have friends who take more than 10 types. Taking multiple types of supplements need more consideration as the amount of each components adds up or might caused drug interactions.
Supplement is not a magic pill that make your risk of heart disease or cancer lower immediately without changing your body function. They modify and regulate your body function; supplement works different for you and me because our body absorb and use them differently.
Many people are confused of what and how to best consume a supplement. Here are a few tips;
1. Always investigate the type of supplements, and the risk
2. Determine the type of supplement - water-soluble or fat-soluble. Fat based materials are usually fat soluble and require fat for better absorption. A general rule would be to have the supplements after meal. If you are taking other medication, allow 3-4 hours before taking the supplement to prevent any interaction.
3. Determine the quantity of supplements that are best absorbed by your body. Taking 1000mg of vitamin C at a time, provide you with at most 50% absorption but taking 500mg Vitamin C twice a day gives you better absorption.
4. Investigate the type of compound you are taking. Slow release formula provide similar benefit of taking the components few times a day by just having a single shot.
With supplement, look up for
- Type of components
- Absorption rate/ Absorption - affected by how you take it as well
- Adverse risk
Make sure you know what you are taking before placing it into your body.
Copyright 2014 ©Felicia Loo