Vegan- I regard them as a picky eater. Why? They aims to live a life without exploiting animals as one of their living resources. In another word, they do not eat any food directly from animals such as the meat nor the indirect food harvested from animals such as honey or milk.
They have a stricter diet and lifestyle than a vegetarian. Their view of food goes beyond "not killing other life organisms for food". It is also about ethics in life, to not exploit others. Veganism, have multiple benefits, according to Vegan Urbanite.
Animal have rights to live and not to be exploited. Killing an organism is a sin. Just like, we protect human rights, animal rights exist too. Imagine growing a chicken, just to kill them. Worse, these poultry are not well-treated while they are alive.
Do you know, growing plants require less resource and environmental waste than to grow a poultry? Growing plant also more sustainable.
Multiple health issues arises from eating animal products. Diet high in animal fats are proven cause of cardiovascular disease, cholesterol, high blood pressure, colon cancer, breast cancer, arthritis and osteoporosis,
Plant-based diet also provide fiber, that is beneficial for our colon health. In addition, vegan does not consume as much as processed sugar. Sugar processing uses charcoals obtained from animal bones and thus, does not comply with a vegan lifestyle.
Do you have a friend or family members that is committed to vegan diet? What are the challenges, eating or preparing dinner for them? Or do you want to be one?
Copyright (c) 2014 Felicia Loo.
Supplement products are common in our daily life. I am taking three different types of supplements but I have friends who take more than 10 types. Taking multiple types of supplements need more consideration as the amount of each components adds up or might caused drug interactions.
Supplement is not a magic pill that make your risk of heart disease or cancer lower immediately without changing your body function. They modify and regulate your body function; supplement works different for you and me because our body absorb and use them differently.
Many people are confused of what and how to best consume a supplement. Here are a few tips;
1. Always investigate the type of supplements, and the risk
2. Determine the type of supplement - water-soluble or fat-soluble. Fat based materials are usually fat soluble and require fat for better absorption. A general rule would be to have the supplements after meal. If you are taking other medication, allow 3-4 hours before taking the supplement to prevent any interaction.
3. Determine the quantity of supplements that are best absorbed by your body. Taking 1000mg of vitamin C at a time, provide you with at most 50% absorption but taking 500mg Vitamin C twice a day gives you better absorption.
4. Investigate the type of compound you are taking. Slow release formula provide similar benefit of taking the components few times a day by just having a single shot.
With supplement, look up for
- Type of components
- Absorption rate/ Absorption - affected by how you take it as well
- Adverse risk
Make sure you know what you are taking before placing it into your body.
Copyright 2014 ©Felicia Loo